View Single Post
Old November 6th, 2021, 04:14 PM   #47
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

OK ! I think I found the problem.... in fact I am sure of it.
the needle jet was in the wrong clip slot on one side ! ...
ASSUMPTION is the Mother of all F#@%& UPS still holds true !!!!! I assumed that the needle was in the center slot so I put it there when I reassembled the carb the first time around.... I just checked the right side and found it was on the 3rd slot not the center one..... ( being high altitude I guess the P.O. put it there to lean it out a bit....smart move actually)
but when I put the left carb back together I ASSUMED it was in the 2nd slot so I put it back together with the clip in the middle slot.... WRONG ! which made the needle jet lower on the left side and not equil to the right screwing up how it ran in every position but idle.... so I put it in the 3rd position like it should be....
I have the bike all apart right now so I can't try it to see if it runs any better but I am sure that was a major part of my problems....
I will continue now in putting on the electronic ignition..... I could not find what ground it was on the bike so I just took the VTOM and saw I had continuity to the frame on the positive side... so it IS POSITIVE GROUND !
finding that needle clip on the wrong slot is like AURGH ! WHATT"A DUMMY but that's how it goes some times ! you make an assumption and it comes back and bites you !
..... i'm just glad I checked it and caught the screwup NOW !!!!
Bob...