View Single Post
Old November 10th, 2021, 12:15 AM   #55
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Hummm..... interesting !
I got the carbs back on and the gas tank and couldn't stand it any longer and tried to start it.... on gas alone no quick start.... I got it to "Brump, Brump "
but that was all.... then I noticed my right carb bowl leaking gas.. so I gott'a find out why that is....these floats have a tendancy to stick in their down position and not raise up when gas finally gets to them ..... a peculiarity of the beast I suppose.
but it did fire 2 times on both cylinders so that is very very good news !!!!
now it's just sorting out the carbs.... which shouldn't be a problem but I have said that before many times ! ..... I've never seen a carb quite like this in all my years.... it's as bare basic as you can get ! no pilot jets at all so the fuel/air screw 's adjustment must be really critical on it and right now I know they are off.... they need adjusted properly.
according to the manual you pull the spark plug lead and adjust the live cylinder for best running..... not the highest RPM ...the best running, which is kind'a strange ! then you switch and do the same for the other cylinder.
..... normal procedure on a twin in my book....
.... I am wondering if I had a bad coil to begin with or not... as I replaced the points condenser and coils with new different stuff and I immediately got both cylinders to fire.....( on like the 3rd Kick) so it sounds like a good possibility to me.
when I put the carb bowls back on I did not use any gasket cement I just left the gaskets dry and put them on, although I am reusing the old gaskets
their in good shape so why not !?!?!
I do not like the fuel line arrangement on this Triumph much at all... you can't see fuel in the lines as they are black and their bolt on fittings are a pain in the butt.... it's much easier to just unplug the vinyl lines and be done with that part of it.... and I like in-line fuel filters... this has none.!
the way it is probably 10 times more robust
but i don't care for one side feeding both carbs and the other side feeding both carbs ... too many lines for my liking, even if it is "better" so that will probably be changed in the near future !
.... and because the stator plate is thicker than the points plate was the point's cover will not screw down tight the stand off bolts are too tall now...
so I will have to grind off about 1/8" on each one for the points plate to fit on it correctly once again. ( another fiddly bit to do !) I'll probably have to shorten each bolt as well ! LOL.....
but it fired ! , I didn't get it running because it is late at night and I didn't want to disturb the neighbors !....and the fuel leak...
so tomorrow is the day I bet !
Bob......