View Single Post
Old November 11th, 2021, 04:33 AM   #59
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Hi Danno !
but you gott'a see these carbs to believe them.... there ain't anything to block the flow of fuel there is a main jet and a needle jet No emulsifier tube its just a fitting to attach the main jet to the needle jet.... everything is clear in the carb itself ...there is no pilot jet it sucks directly from the carb float bowl via 2 tubes that are clean into a area where the air screw meaters the flow of fuel
... these things are so basic that normal carburetor rules do not apply ! well, almost ! LOL if it's not getting fuel then it's got to be the air screw adjustment..... carb cleaner ( because it has a sprey and a straw not because it cleans...) shoots out any orifice it is supposed to...
if it's not getting fuel it is because I set the float level too low... or have the air screws too far in ..... it's not the carbs it's me ! of that I am sure !
but the question is, what did I screw up this time ? LOL
the float level I changed on both carbs simply because the previous owner said he just replaced both floats ... and I had over flow on each carb on (separate occasions ).... so I lowered the float level slightly ( very little)
on the left and on the right carbs...
.... I am confident it will run right now ... as I got it to fire several times without the quickstart on gasoline alone... but kicking it is alot of work for this old man so I used the quick start to get it going quicker....
if it's a carb issue I will eat my hat ! ( no I won't, that thing is filthy!) LOL
but I do not think there is anything wrong with the carbs at this point in time
.... if I can get it running tomorrow by what ever method, seeing if it will IDLE is the key.... it is static timed by the book so it should run and idle
right now the air screws are 2 turns out... the one on the right side was 1.5 turns out and the other was 2.5 so I put them at 2 turns out on each.
the book calls for 2.5 turns out as a starting point....so it is possible it might be a bit lean for a cold engine to idle on right at the moment
...i don't know how sensitive those screws are...yet... I expect they are very sensitive !

Yes I've been through this before many times you must take the entire bike into consideration.... not just one part like the carbs. their not always the answer.... usually they are but you have to let the machine tell you what's wrong... and so far she's not talking much....
....later !
Bob........