View Single Post
Old November 11th, 2021, 11:51 PM   #69
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

well, I spoke too soon.... I thought for sure that would fix it but nope !
... I pulled out the air/fuel mixture screw and blew compressed air through there while plugging the big hole like the instructions in the manual said
but there is no change.
it starts for a second and then dies on gas mind you not quick start now.
and yes that is with the choke on fully.... but it's still not getting fuel through that super duper tiny pilot jet hole that is pressed way in there I can see it with my flashlight and it "LOOKS CLEAN" but you and I both know that means nothing....
a wire from my wire brush might be small enough to go in the hole in the pilot jet but I seriously doubt it.... I ran a drill bit by hand down the long holes to the pilot jet and found no debris at all, those are clean too.... the fuel pick up hole MUST be the culprit ! as a process of elimination.... from the air screw hole the hole "T"'s to a vertical hole down to the float bowl.... and I figure it must have a blockage in that portion of the line....
the float bowl portion that continues the long hole is clean I am sure of that but in the carb portion I did not run a wire through that passage... I just sprayed carb cleaner in that hole.... and it came out the air/fuel screw hole and the big middle hole in the carb intake ... like it should.... so I would say that it is clean as well......
so I assume the passage to that pressed in jet is clean....
that leaves only the jet being plugged as a final verdict.... so it's scrounge around till I find a wire small enough and strong enough to poke through that tiny hole to make sure.... I cannot see through it but it is black behind that jet so i really cannot tell by looking.

not having a passage way drawing of the AMIL 900 series carb to go by I am guessing that there is only one "T" in the pilot circuit....for the fuel.
or I could be wrong and there is no "T" at all and just a "L" down to the float bowl .... and the Air side has the "T" in it.
there has to be enough vacuum to draw up the fuel to the pilot jet to mix with the air set by the Air screw in order to function properly.
it looks to me that the tip of the air screw is shaped just so it will cause a vinturi effect at the pilot jet to suck up fuel.... so that fuel side must be a straight shot to the fuel bowl or at least as straight as was possible in manufacturing it, hinse the 90 degree turn in it to the bowl...

we'll see what I come up with ...this bike has definitely been a challenge
the funny part is, I thought it would be a Snap. as this is the era of bike I worked on most of my life... but this one is being very picky ! and throwing in a AMIL 900 carb to the mix has set me back a bit ! HAHAHA if it was a 30mm Mikuni carb I'd have had it going the first day I am sure...
...but I am sure She will teach me a thing or two before it's all over ! HA !
... just goes to show ya, your never too old to learn !

Bob....