View Single Post
Old November 14th, 2021, 09:12 AM   #27
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
I am wondering why none of you guys have told him to use the drain screws on the bottom of the carb float bowls to drain the gas out yet... in Aussie land they have alot of trouble with water in the fuel alot like California did for a while until the law cracked down on the owners of the gas stations for putting their garden hoses into the fuel tanks.... ( back in the 70's boys)
... any way... running good then running bad is a symptom of water in the fuel
and it's a easy fix.... when in doubt turn the screw next to the small black drain line on the float bowl of the carburetors... drain everything out... and it should stop draining because the motor is not running... you don't have to take those screws out just loosen them about 2 or 3 turns is all... then tighten them back up. ( don't leave them like that or you'll forget them !)
Another thing I like to do is get the motor running and rev it to about 3,000 RPM and put your hand over the throat of one carburetor....
then take it off when the RPM's drop to about 2000 RPM... and do that again to the other side... this sucks all the junk out of the carburetor along with any water that is lingering in there...
this is only do-able if you have the boots and air box all disconnected because you can't put your hand over the back of the carb if their on there
doing that will also help show up a fuel supply problem as it sucks alot of gas out of the carb and it will take a few seconds to recover ...if it takes a minute or two to recover then you definitely have a fuel supply problem !!!!
(replace the petcock with one that doesn't have that stupid vacuum line ! )
my 2 coppers
Bob......
Unless he has boat load of water in bowl and tank it wouldn't run at all usually just sucked it right through and burned it as you keep the high RPMS
I agree it can't hurt to open up the float bowl drain screw
The reason for the stupid vacuum on petcock is easy you be surprised by how many people who do not turn off the fuel petcock when let it sit
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote