View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2021, 03:30 PM   #43
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Not that I can think of.
That’s good. I haven’t seen too many unexplained stall threads back when I was more active here but I did see a few. If it affected more bikes I’d expect many more by now so this is a good thing. Mine was bone stock and new, BTW. Not sure if carb jetting or raising needles or anything might affect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
were talking about TWO different things now right?

1. clogged tank-vent causing vacuum in tank. This is not binary all-or-nothing issue. It's possible to have partially clogged vent, which still vents enough for adequate petrol flow. Mine hissed and squealed for years before I fixed it, but was always able to start and run bike normally regardless. One simple and easy test is riding with cap open. OP reports this made no difference. OP also has not reported any hissing or whining from tank. So we can assume tank-venting is not issue in this case.

2. Leaky petcock seal should only affect operations when bike is off. Such as causing dripping through carbs with non-sealing float-valves resulting in hydrolocked engine and/or stripped starter ring-gear. Neither has been reported by OP. Leaky petcock should not affect opened
operation when bike is ON in anyway because diaphragm will be open for full flow anyway.

Which is our final diagnostic test. If his petcock flow-rate is measured to be sufficient, only conclusion left is dirty and clogged carbs.
Yeah. It was a response to shspvr since he mentioned that they are cheap on eBay and he may want to replace it if he sees ethanol damage. Just something to be aware of for anyone looking for a replacement petcock since even new parts could be affected.

1. He did say the problem was hit or miss so the tank vent test was inconclusive. Not saying it’s the tank vent though… just thought an anecdote of a confirmed issue would be useful to compare here.

2. Yeah, it was a tangent in case he saw ethanol damage when checking the petcock for other issues. Since they were already talking about replacements I chimed in about a known-issue with original and replacement petcock. Don’t know if Kawi ever addressed this but in some ways an aftermarket petcock may be the better option when shopping for a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shspvr View Post
Are you refer to part that is circled in yellow ? if yes it should not be going that far in should be sitting on the 45 degree bevel
It is that part. I took that pic about 9 years ago and can’t recall exactly but IIRC there are parts that seal against it from both sides.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote