Old November 16th, 2021, 04:23 PM   #101
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
I am wondering about that electronic ignition now, could it be sparking fine for a few seconds then stopping ?
As you probably know, I manufacture electronic ignition units for the Kawasaki triples. I've sold thousands of them in the 12 years I've been doing it. It's amazing how many guys will have a non-running bike and jump to the conclusion that it has to be caused by a faulty ignition unit. So they buy one of mine and it still won't run, so then they ask me how they can test the brand new unit. I try to explain that it was tested twice before I shipped it, but I still get a few guys who ship it back to me so I can test it.

You can get clear plastic in-line spark testers so you can see if it's still sparking when it quits running. If you get two of those you can end your doubts about the new ignition system. One would be enough if you don't mind testing one cylinder at a time. Here's an example, not a recommendation. I have no idea if this is the best price you can find. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-20610-I.../dp/B0002STSC6

Just remember that 90% of carb problems are really electrical problems, and 90% of electrical problems are really carb problems.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.