View Single Post
Old November 17th, 2021, 06:33 PM   #109
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Yes indeed !
I hooked up the choke lever so I could actually turn the choke off
started it again with one kick and slowly took the choke off after I took the idle down a bit.... it was idling at about 2k RPM a bit fast for my liking...
anyway... i took the choke off and kept it going and it cleared out and started barking when I goosed it ! man that thing grabs the RPM fast ! I am really surprised at that ! I didn't expect anything like that !
it cleared out and started purring fairly nicely not perfect yet but close to it !
when the Ninja is warm it grabs the RPM quite fast but this thing is faster ! by quite a bit..... I've never heard a Triumph grab RPM like that before ! WOW !
.... anyway sense it was idling fast at first it, scooted it's way back toward the door of the shop so I had to move it back into it's spot again where I have about 2 ft per side to work on it !
the secret to starting that bike is tickling the carbs !!!!
Now I have alot of fiddling to do to get the points plate cover back on as the sending unit has a thick plate on it and it doesn't allow the cover to go on tightly.... so I have to trim a bunch of bolts to make it work right ... then I can seal it up for good ! ( i love electronic ignition ! )
... but as soon as I took that choke off she started clearing out and sounding alot better.... Well, it should !!!! RIGHT ?!
here I figured those choke slides didn't do much, but they must do alot of choking when they are in use !
I think it would be a good idea to replace the sparkplugs after this ordeal their probably real close to being fouled !
I'll get that point's cover back on and the air boxes and seat and then take it for a ride....
earlier today while I was fiddling with the bike the right carb slide stuck in the full open position.... not a good thing at all, the left carb I already took 220 grit sand paper to the slide and barrel of the carb to get it to free up....
looks like I need to do the same to the right side as well....
I didn't run it real long but long enough to see that the left cylinder was soft at idle..... i'll get those air screws set and that should take care of that issue
HAHAHA I can't get over at how CRISP that engine sounds it sounds real good..... loud, but good
I am hoping I will find the intake valve a bit tight on the left side as that would explain alot to me ! ...no I haven't checked the valves yet the PO. said he did... but looking at the dirt on those covers they haven't been touch in at least a year ! so ....it's time to set the valves !
( i may take it for a short spin first before I tear it down again though!)
it's been a knock down drag out battle, but clean living and perseverance prevailed ! HAHAHAHAH !
later all !
Bob......