Old November 19th, 2021, 08:00 AM   #124
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
From your link:

"Motorcycle alternator refers to a collection of components that includes the stator, but also includes magnets and a rectifier/regulator (devices that convert AC current to DC current and maintain steady output)."

The person who wrote this thinks that the rectifier-regulator is part of the alternator. He seems to think this because 1-piece automotive alternators often have the rectifier and regulator built in. The term "alternator" means an electro-mechanical device that generates AC. As I said above, the alternators we're used to have a stator and a rotating magnet structure (known as the "field"). Sometimes the rotating magnet is an electromagnet. Other alternators in other applications sometimes have a stationary field and a rotating "armature" (not "stator" since it's not stationary).

He also doesn't seem to realize that "AC" means "Alternating Current", and "DC" means "direct current", so he uses the term "AC Current" and "DC Current".
Like I said the main diff with Motorcycle they are 100% pure brushless where cars, trucks, big rig do still have brush's and field regulator so there it req to have 12v power source to come on and to work unlike motorcycle it will come on soon as the motor is started.
When you order motorcycle parts it is used lee listed under generator and part it self has always been called stator not alternator unless it some odd ball motorcycle you know like Bosshog or something like that.
As matter fact Lawnmower with it changing system also to have stator under the flywheel there some older small engine had external belt driven changing system.
As I have been fixing both car and motorcycle and many other things with engine even diesel for last 40 years now, But today car can drive me crazy
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote