View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2021, 08:37 PM   #134
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Actually I was thinking about this one...
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...94474371792896
....man that's a long link ! LOL
well I gave up and slept most of the day ! but I did go out there about an hour ago and start the bike....
....I am beginning to think the chokes are redundant and not needed as the tickliers do the best for starting the bike....
anyway I started the bike and adjusted down the idle and had a nice perfect low speed idle about 800 RPM and then saw I still had the choke on...
just touched it and it died... took it all the way off and it wouldn't idle at all so I had to re set the idle screws much higher but eventually it did idle ok...
right now it's about 1500RPM at idle which is alot faster than I like but it's not the nice smooth idle I had earlier...
I started it 3 times by not even getting on the bike just standing beside it and hitting the kick starter and it fired up easily...
QUESTION for you smart guys... will taking the spark plug off the sparkplug harm the electronic ignition ?... Should I put a spark plug in the spark plug lead and make sure it is grounded, to do the carb airscrew adjustment ?
...I don't remember what vehicle it was that I was trying to find the cylinder that was missing by pulling the sparkplug lead while it was running and the manual said in bold letters do not do that you'll burn out the ignition system !... of all the silly things.... and of course, I read that AFTER the FACT...
but I got lucky and it still had spark but I quit doing that so willy nilly
...some old practices don't fit in this new electronic age !....that is one of them....
pull the spark plug lead and stick your finger in the socket and crank it over was a common practice for me it tells you several things real fast, if it makes your eyes water it's a good strong spark , if it knocks you out, it's exceptionally good ! ...if its so weak that you can stand that all day long and
it wouldn't bother you at all, you have problems if it dribbles the jolt instead of a burst that's when condensers are bad usually... I have a high tolerance for electric shocks... but I've felt some that were truly mean... off the D2 cat we had as a kid it's spark was truly hostile and would make your ears ring... that thing has a magneto on it and it worked very good....
it had to, it was an old hand crank start system on it and it was tough to start some times.
but this Triumph's New electronic ignition may have a sensitive side. so to be safe I will just put another spark plug in the spark plug lead and ground it real good.....it's the grounding that's the problem...LAYING IT ON THE HEAD CAN JUST FALL OFF... it needs to be attached to a good solid ground.

I really didn't get much done today....my sleeping schedule is all messed up and I am trying to get it back to being awake in the day instead of asleep...
and it's not working out for me too well ! HAHAHA!
( i am Nocturnal by nature)
the Triumph did start easy today though, and I ran it till it was getting very warm... so I really couldn't continue playing with it.
so I took a break and let it cool down.
it's still not idling the best ...those air screws need adjusting real bad
and the idle screws at the same time and that should give me the nice smooth slow idle I am after I like 500 to 800 RPM on a big twin...lower than that and they have a tendency to bog on throttle .
I think I'll go mess with brake switches now....
later !
Bob.........