View Single Post
Old November 23rd, 2021, 03:28 AM   #96
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

You asked what passage ways are the ones that like to clog up earlier ?
I believe ( not positive) that under the emulsifier tube ,the thing that holds the main jet is a passageway off at a shallow angle. I have heard that that passage way gets plugged often ... it's one of those that make a 90 degree turn and is a bear to get clean....
an ultrasonic cleaner is not the complete answer to cleaning a carb. at best they clean the outsides nicely but for passageways you must rely on the small carb cleaning brushes or wire.
....when gas sits in a carb for a long time anything that is below the top level of the gasoline has a tendancy to get a crust on it this crust flakes off some times turns sideways and plugs the small diameter passageways then more junk follows and soon the passageway is completely plugged and nothing can get through.... and this can happen on a air passage way or a fuel passage way
all from the same cause old gas... and lets face it every bike has had old gas in it !
the passageways on my 1977 Triumph's Amal 930 carbs are HUGE in comparison to the 2012 Ninja 250R's passageways but they still plug up
which means the Ninja's carbs are really easy to plug up !
.... when I got my ninja it wouldn't run on both cylinders the main jet was completely plugged as well s the pilot circuit ( not the pilot jet the passage way to it !) after 3 times trying to clean it I was finally successful... well partly.... it could use more love and attention but I wanted to ride it !
physically poke a strong wire ( small spring un wound works great ) in every passage as far as you can get it and make darn sure the carb cleaner comes out all the holes it's supposed to.... without that your shooting in the dark.
Bob.