View Single Post
Old November 26th, 2021, 07:12 PM   #182
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

well thanks Danno !
it sounds to me like dot 5 is the way to go mainly because of it's longevity...
and doesn't dissolve paint on contact. ( i like that part)
but it sounds like I'd have to flush the brake systems extremely well before using it.... sense I am putting in a completely new system in the back I don't see that as a problem about the only thing I am keeping is the hardware and the one hose to the caliper....
.... I had a major fight with that bike today... getting the old master cylinder OFF..... some idiot put the bolt in backwards ( probably from the factory as that bracket is only removable at frame level) I had to cut the bolt off to get it out
then the trouble started with the master cylinder ! the tiny allen type grub screw that locks the cylinder to the bracket wouldn't turn ( steel and aluminum don't mix) then the ball end snapped off in the allen head... and would not come out and I played with trying to get it out for over an hour, finally I decided to drill it out... after 2 hrs of drilling sharpening bits and drilling some more I finally broke through off to the side ..it took out about half the grub screw.... with that I tried to unscrew the master cylinder from the bracket.... it finally broke free but of course it screwed up the threads all the way out I cleaned it up got the grub screw all the way out and threaded it back in in an attempt to straighten the threads a bit... that helped some...
i have no tap that big... I should replace the bracket but the only one that is available is the entire new kit at a whopping $200 bucks ... I am sure I can get the old bracket to hold the new master cylinder so I'll try that first.
... I am glad I ordered the $94.00 master cylinder after looking at this one ....it is full of junk and all plugged up....
...I will need to replace the bolt I had to cut off to get the darn thing out of there .... I know why they put the bolt in backwards though because the head of the bolt just barely clears the rear foot peg attachment frame...
really close quarters on this thing !... but I'll put the bolt in lock-tight the nut and cut off any overhang of the bolt past the nut so it won't hit the frame.
... and that will make removal in the future alot easier.
...I can barely get my fingers in there to adjust the peddle play... and I can't with the tire on.....so the question arises then How do you adjust the back brake peddle play ? you remove the tire again.... or get used to it the way it is ! .... that is worse than Ludacris !
... and getting that tire off was a major knock down drag out battle...
I finally won though with my Kids help to keep the bike from falling over !
seems you have to put it on the center stand and then raise it an additional 3" so the tire will clear the fender.... who's idea was that ???? that is what the manual says !!!
so I raised it with the floor jack and with the Kid balancing it I got the tire out, and lowered it back down... to put the tire back on I gott'a do that again
..... how stupid can you get ? obviously the home owner was not supposed to change his own tires on this bike.
I need concrete anchor bolts in the floor and a front chock for the front wheel
to do this by myself ! or a HF bike lift and move the bike to the back of the lift so i can take the tire off...
totally ridiculous ! the Rancher must have used his shop crane !
LOL....
anyway progress was made even if it was extremely frustrating...
I think I'll have a Beer !
HAHAHAHAH
Bob.......