View Single Post
Old May 14th, 2015, 11:55 AM   #11
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
@Zombiphone - got a picture of the snapped shaft?
Hashtag..... Girl Power?

Quote:
So, the procedure I've found that worked well is to tighten down all of the cam cap cover bolts the same amount, 1/2 or 1/4 turn at a time, following the factory tightening sequence. After each sequence, wiggle the cam and the chain. Eventually it will "pop" into place and you'll be able to tighten it the rest of the way.
I tried that, but the "pop" I got ended up resulting in the above. I was tightening very, very slowly, one turn or less per bolt at a time, too, and using no more than the force of squeezing my fingers to the palm of my hand. All those years of videogames must gave given me a better kung fu grip than expected, haha..... T_T

I'm gonna hopefully pick up a new cam from a buddy who's got a spare top end tonight, so I'll feel around a bit more before I even try to tighten anything this time. I wasn't touching the cam chain beyond the initial timing effort, so I'll see if I can get it to shift more that way.

What is the factory tightening sequence exactly? I have a service manual, but I was having trouble finding any reference to the reinstallation process, so I was just cross tightening the four bolts on the cover as carefully as I could.
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote