Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Yes.

You literally just asked about the same situation with two different lead-in's. Either way, if you are traveling faster than someone in a lane which is left of you, you're passing on the right. Now... which one of you is wronger? idk. You're both technically wrong.

Ideally, as you travel faster, you go more lefter. if you find traffic moving faster than you are, you go right. The idea is simply to be moving faster than traffic to your right but slower than traffic to your left.

THAAAT SAID; people in the south don't seem to give a crap about that whole idea. There's no mid-west driving etiquette down here and frankly, despite some above posted theories about "kids and parents these days rah rah", people aged 55+ are more often the ones in the left lane traveling slower than traffic than not. At this point, I will pass whenever and wherever there is a safe spot to do so. Although I have discovered that people respond very differently to my lifted truck than they do to my smaller vehicles when they're in the left lane for miles with no one around and I make my faster-traveling-presence known on their bumper, if you know what I mean. I try not to do that very often, but it gets the point across.
Yes, in all the situations I mentioned, a car would be passing on the right. The reason I asked this question, is due to a large number of people acting like any kind of passing on the right is illegal and a cardinal sin. In this thread, we have now found out that in many states there are more situations in which passing on the right is legal than there are where it is illegal.

My question to you would be, why am I the idiot, when it is the other people that are thinking a car needs to hopscotch all over the road to get to the left of another vehicle to pass vs just legally passing on the right?

I'm sorry if my original question seemed a bit confusing, I was considering "passing on the right" to be the illegal situations vs when it's legal it's just "passing."

@snot thank you, that was the page I looked at after seeing the posts here about North Carolina and California pertaining to passing on the right. It's totally legal here as long as you have two or more lanes in the same direction, and you aren't having to drive off the road to do it.

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.