View Single Post
Old November 29th, 2018, 11:12 AM   #58
Frank06
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): many!

I bought the updated parts, the spring looks substantially stronger than the OEM item and the bearing (that rides on the shift drum) looks a little bigger. The following is mostly for myself in case I ever have to do this again, lol.

Here's couple more installation tips. (1) stuff a rag or paper towel in the oil drainback cavity (under the clutch plates) in case you drop anything. There's a small washer behind the arm that's easy to drop. (2) as others have said, spread the shift linkage arms apart and there should be enough slop to move the top arm over onto the star piece on the end of the shift drum (I just moved both of them out of the way). (3) I put the parts together and got the allen head screw started a few turns with the straight piece of the spring sticking almost straight up and down. I then used a screwdriver to move it into final position (resting against the case) before tightening further. (4) Keep a close eye on two things: make sure the bearing on the end of the arm stays in proper alignment with the shift star i.e. parallel to it, not pushing against the end of the star and that the washer-bushing that the allen screw passes through stays in proper position. I had to hold the washer in place using a screwdriver as the new spring wants to push the arm down out of alignment. (5) When you think you're done pry against the arm with a screwdriver to make sure you feel spring tension and can see the arm pushing down onto the shift drum.

It's winter and I won't know until next season but this setup cannot be worse. My bike was downshifting by itself in a couple of places on the track which (needless to say...) was pretty disconcerting. At first I blamed myself for sloppy shifting but then realized it probably wasn't me.

Thanks for previous tips!
Frank06 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.