Thread: '92 rebuild
View Single Post
Old October 28th, 2021, 07:44 PM   #145
BonelessSugar
ninjette.org member

Name: Cashby

Motorcycle(s): EX250-F x 3, TW200, NPS50

I didn't realize aluminum brazing/welding was different than other metals. guess that's where experience comes in.

sorry danno, it's the front peg, not the rear. the angle is different (and length is slightly longer) so I chopped my non-mint one in half to repair my cracked one. mailing my handlebar out tomorrow.

rods I'm picking up friday, might get 4 instead of 2 for extra

seems straightforward. heat the peg (without melting it) (mapp or propane, doesn't seem to matter other than mapp is faster), heat the rod (without melting it) to melt the flux into the gap, then press non-melted rod into heated gap. voila.

only question I've got is if I should cut some sort of wedge to help strengthen the two together or if I should just leave as much original material as possible.

I'll circle back tomorrow with results or more problems.

Quote:
While claims of alloy brazing as having strength in 45-60kpsi range, in my experience, it's closer to 30kpsi, or just about 1/2 of 6000-series alloy. Not really worth it, unless it's non-structural decorative item.

Welding is really only way to join aluminium reliably with strength. While you can TIG weld alloy
kinda worried about this part, but not so much. not ready to drop $1k on a nice TIG rig when I can't even use a 240 outlet.
BonelessSugar is offline   Reply With Quote