View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #1
JustRidin
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6, 2015 KTM 250XC - Past: 2011 KTM 150XC, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2012 Ninja 650, 2007 CRF250R

Dying for a Bike! What's the PRICE?

So I just introduced myself on the forums, and like everyone here I'm dying to get out there and ride! Only one problem....

NO BIKE

Well I'm looking to fix that problem this fall. Ideally I'd like to get a 2008+ model, hence this board, with less than 6000 miles and minor scratches at worst. No dents at all or scratches you'll notice from more than 10 ft away basically. Obviously it should be mechanically sound. What price do you think I should be looking at for say an 08' or 09'?

Alternatively I would consider the old gen models to, 2005 or newer, with fewer than 7 or 8k miles for the right price and in about same condition as I mentioned for the newer bikes, but wouldn't want to spend as much. What do you guys think a good price would be for these?

I've got my own idea of what would be a good deal for each but I figure I'd take a pole just to see what feedback I get. Thanks for the help!

-------------------------------------
Well yes I'd basically like a new bike without paying sticker price. Fact is, bikes lose value the moment you buy them from a dealer new, just not as much value as a car might. I'm not looking to get one for $1,500. I'd say something that matches my description would be a pretty good deal at the 3k or under mark. I've seen a couple 08' and 09's fitting my description running in the 2.5-2.8k range in my area over the last 6 months or so. Seen quite a few more in that range missing a mirror or having med-large scratches on the side. I've also run across a few pre-gen bikes, around the 05' year, under 10k miles, for 1.5-1.8k range. Didn't have the money when any of these bikes popped up though, and now that I do I'm waiting to get all my school expenses tallied and budgeted before moving on the next good deal that pops up.

Overall it seems these bikes tend to go for a lot more in some of the other parts of the country than they seem to here. Not that there aren't a bunch of guys asking 4k+ for bikes with 3k miles and 2 years old though. There still are. I'm just not willing to pay sticker price for a bike that's anything but brand new. And why buy new when there's used?

(But I'd certainly jump on a sub 1k deal for an older, higher mileage, or scratched bike! Lucky you dirty nasty for getting an almost new one for that!)

Last futzed with by JustRidin; July 18th, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
JustRidin is offline   Reply With Quote