View Single Post
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:23 AM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinsingle View Post
Brake forces are applied to the top side of the bracket so it won't matter, think about the direction of the torque applied.
I know. I'm thinking about the tab you threaded the bolt into. It could now split or fold. All of the force in the current setup goes into that one welded-on bent piece that's now punctured with the collared bolt. But all is not lost: It could potentially be made stronger than the original setup if the bolt is welded to the tab and the swingarm.

Quote:
The pre-gen bracket doesn't brace on the swingarm the same way, there is no channel built in to it so they have to use an old school torque arm set-up....Go look at some diagrams.
I imagine that the old setup was determined to be overkill if the welded bent tab with slotted holder is enough. Besides, I have three EX250F swingarms and two EX250J arms to look at.

Quote:
Also every race bike I've been around is set up to always use your dominant hand to hold and locate the wheel while using the other hand to push in the axle...Have you changed many tires?
Yes, actually, and almost always by myself. I find it far easier to align all the spacers with the caliper holder without dropping anything if I partially insert the axle such that it holds the caliper holder while I position everything else. Once in position with all the spacers, I just push it through.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote