Old February 4th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
The tab could deform and flatten a lot more easily with a hole in it. I'm not saying it would, but it's still easy to see how it could be structurally compromised. If I levered the bolt down it wouldn't need to warp much to come out of the threading unless it is also threaded into the swingarm, which I already said would likely make it stronger than stock.
you are missing the point. the bolt is not doing anything structurally. the metal that was previously where the bolt now is was not doing anything structurally. with the rear end bolted together and the axle tight, the brake mount is flush against the swing arm and evenly supported. if you cut the top face of the brake alignment mount off, and bent the walls flat against the swing arm, you would still not be able to rotate the brake mount. the swing arm would literally have to collapse in on itself in order for the mount to rotate. the kind of force required to do that can't be applied by rotating the brake mount around the axle.

think about the amount of force the rear brake can apply.... its not very much when you think about the amount of force it takes to lock up the rear tire.