View Single Post
Old June 26th, 2014, 09:15 AM   #43
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltony View Post
Liteweight sport bikes under 300 lbs with a gal of gas are rare but they are well within the capabilities of a willing mfg.I have 2 supermoto bikes that are under 285 lbs with a gal of gas. They are fun. However I would be interested in a well made 250 to 400cc sport bike. I already have more than 10 bikes now and I really cant think of anything other than a sub 300lb sport bike(fairings) that would interest me
The ninjas I have now..1 with a carb kit and comp mufflers are fun but they just dont have the speed or performane(brakes and suspension) of the SMs.

Tony
with in capabilities... maybe, worth the cost to your average buyer? probably not

comparing to a sumo is apples and oranges my friend.

1 cylinder, you save probably 20lbs right there between combine engine weight and intake/exhaust parts
light weight spoke wheels easily save a few lbs on a sumo
+ small plastic tank
now start factoring weight for fairing stays + fairings

just those things alone will add up to over 35lbs easy

An MX 450 tips the scales at ~240lbs and that is bare bones no messing around lean mean machine, add ~35lbs for things mentioned above then another 20 for battery, lights, wiring, signals, tach ect... and you end up with an additional 55lbs total putting you at 295lbs and I think that is pretty conservative

Like I mentioned before, you can drop some weight quick with losing material especially for a track bike, BUT when it comes down to the nitty gritty you are going to shell out some serious cash for CF & Ti parts, no way around it.

You want a 300lb performance 4t streetbike of any cc? be prepared to pay some serious cash

keep in mind a 450 mx bike costs close to $8-9k new, left overs can be had for around $7k

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.