View Single Post
Old June 26th, 2014, 12:14 PM   #49
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltony View Post

Definately not to be argumentative and this is getting way beyond the purpose of the thread,
But GasGas Beta and KTM seem to been able to plate their mx bikes for an increase in weight of less than 25lbs. The stuff they use is flimsy but it does get the job done.The ktm spec listed the 450 mx at 230 lbs and the plated 450 enduro at 254 lbs. Not sure what fluids they included but the difference between the 2 is 24 lbs. As I mentioned above the GG difference was less than 20 lbs.
I really don't want to spell this out. We are not even talking about the same things. You are not even in the same ballpark let alone zip code but to entertain your post here we go

A plated MX bike consists of, headlight, taillight, plate bracket, a small battery and minimal wiring, little tach, and maybe some bar end mirrors. There is your 25lbs, that is all. <- this is not the same same as making a streetable sport bike! Ktm specs 450 at 235lbs so a streetable bare bones mx bike weighs ~255lbs

So you are going to add another cylinder or more, extra fuel and air delivery bits, more exhaust piping, fairing stays, cooling fan, additional electrical for signals and sensors ect..., real lights, boat loads of fairings, huggers, a much bigger heavier metal gas tank, bigger heavier rotors and calipers maybe x 2 up front, most likely heavier wheels all with the remaining 45lbs of cap room you have left? ......

Tool kit weights like 5lbs alone... lol

again, you seem to have it all figured out, give Yamy a call

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltony View Post
When I bought my 1000 CBR rr it was about the same price as the1000 CBRxx. The xx had nice stuff on it all chromed and Shiney while the stuff on the rr was kind of flimsy. The difference however was that the rr weighed 100 lbs less and all that weight savings didnt cost me any more than the price of the xx.

Tony
^worth nothing for many reasons and, besides you gave all the answers needed to figure it out.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote