View Single Post
Old May 1st, 2017, 02:57 PM   #1
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Wondering if riding is for you?

This post is for any ladies (or gents for that matter) out there who are curious about motorcycling but afraid to try it. Loved ones and society will tell you not to do it. "It's dangerous", they say. And though, yes they can be right, danger can crash into you no matter where you are or what you're doing. Driving to work in your car, walking down a flight of stairs with your arms full, or hell, even wasting away on a sofa eating tater chips all day...life is full of danger. The question is, what will actually make you feel alive?

So if you've been thinking of going out on a limb, doing something society says women should not do, go against the grain. Make your own path. You'll be better and happier for it!

Riding skills are crucial to giving yourself the best chance of survival. USE THIS FORUM! Use the riding skills section often, ask questions you worry are "dumb" (they're not), pick the brains of experts here, read riding bibles such as "Twist of the Wrist" and "Proficient Motorcycling". Practice emergency maneuvers in empty parking lots. Take the MSF class. Wear lots o' gear. Learn slowly and thoroughly. Be defensive and ride like you're invisible (because on a bike, you are). Forever be a learner, or as I refer to myself, a "permanoob". If you're curious, try it! If it's not your thing, it's not your thing, but if you never try, you'll never know. I sure as hell didn't think it would be anything I'd actually be good at the first time I sat on a Ninja 250 in an empty high school parking lot at age 30, attempting to figure out how a manual tranny works. Check out the journey that happened as a result...

Ally99's story:

Eight years ago today, I earned my motorcycle riding permit. In a twist of irony, eight years later, today marks the first day since then that I have not owned a bike.

As a clueless beginner wanting to face a fear, even a manual transmission befuddled me as I began the journey that would change my life in so many ways. Slowly I researched, practiced, talked to experts, and over the years I progressed as a rider far more than I would have ever fathomed. From simple commutes to the elementary school where I taught to mind-clearing rides through our beautiful countryside to learning the art of racing and dragging knee on a twisty track, I have shaken hands with hundreds of new friends and experienced the world as most people could never comprehend. I've been driven by adrenaline never felt before, learned what zen actually feels like, pushed my skills to (and sometimes past) their limit, crashed and burned and learned determination to get back up and ride again, never to end on a lose. Motorcycle jaunts and camping trips in the some of the same mountains I would eventually end up walking across, relaxing rural Saturday morning rides and my favorite destination, Watson Mill Bridge State Park, brought peace and healing to my life over the past 8 years.

Two and a half years and 3000 miles after my most egregious crash on November 8, 2014 when I high-sided at Jennings Motorsports Park and broke my back and my thumb, riding has continued to bring unadulterated liberation and joy to my life, but it's never been quite the same. Today, I said goodbye to "Little Ninj". Life comes in seasons, and for now, it's time to end on a win, hang up the helmet, and ride life's new adventures wherever they take me.

Through it all, I have never regretted facing my fear. Going outside one's comfort zone brings peace and confidence unlike anything else. Thank you to those who have been part of my 2-wheeled journey. <3

I never would have become the rider I did without Ninjette.org. Thank ALL of you, especially those who have mentored me from the very beginning...Hernan, Snake, Chris, Alex...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cookies.jpg (39.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Daddy 2011.jpg (81.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Track day 2012.jpg (65.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Little Tally GSXR.jpg (110.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg RIP bird2.jpg (102.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Wish.jpg (153.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg STT .jpg (78.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Group ride 2014.jpg (134.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Ooops 2014.jpg (80.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Ooops 2.jpg (92.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Friends 2014.jpg (98.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Snow.jpg (93.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Race3.jpg (98.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Friends.jpg (65.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Fundraiser ride.jpg (112.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Road Atlanta.jpg (72.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg CMP.jpg (36.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Dragon 2010.jpg (87.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Goodbye bike2.jpg (125.6 KB, 18 views)

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson

Last futzed with by ally99; May 1st, 2017 at 05:25 PM.
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.