View Single Post
Old August 17th, 2021, 09:54 AM   #45
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Not me... though I have heard of oven cleaner being good for thick deposits
but you must get it all off immediately afterword as the acid will eat the aluminum !!!!!
I never had the guts to try it.... I just used a putty knife and screwdriver ! LOL
I also use a wire wheel in the grinder but you must be careful in the way you do that ...a wire wheel will round all the edges on aluminum real fast and that is not what you want on say a piston top, so you have to work out from the center
and never on the edge.
Yes the H1 and H2 Kawasaki's were the King's of their time... there were thousands of them out there... and they were fast... powerful and relitively light.
The power to weight ratio was the best and probably still is tops even today.
Obviously, use a HIGH HEAT silicone for your gasket stuff... the High heat Silicone I use is RTV High Heat Silicone I pick up at walmart or autozone. (walmart is 1/2 the price) it's RED, don't use the blue stuff on anything but side plates.
I use RTV silicone even on new gaskets especially on water cooled engines.
I hate water leaks !!!!! a thin wet layer (fresh, not dried) on both sides of the gasket keeps it from being a mess... put it in and clamp it down fast so it will dry in place.... don't coat the gaskets and wait till the next day....
as a side note... when I got my 250R it only ran on 1 cylinder...so I pulled the carbs and cleaned them I found that one carburetor had the main jet and pilot jet completely plugged with rust from the tank....
so I did the Kreem thing to the tank after taking out the petcock and sending unit and covering the holes with 2" wide packing tape...that worked great !
I should have plugged the 3 lines coming out of the tank for vents as it leaked as I sloshed it around ! ...live and learn !
Bob.........