View Single Post
Old November 4th, 2016, 07:50 AM   #163
Schweedo
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2007 YZF600R

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but it seems to be the biggest/most informative on this topic. I just put a 88-94 cdi in my 2012 ninja 250, and had a couple questions and comments on it. I did it mainly to fix the tach issue of reading higher rpms on warmer days but went with the 88-94 part after reading on here about the timing advance compared to the newer cdi's. I made a jumper connector to plug in to the factory harness and the older cdi so I wouldn't have to cut into or alter the factory wiring in any way. I only got to ride it around town for 45 min or so but it definitely seemed to pull harder and through a wider range of rpms. I didn't take it on the highway yet so my experience at this point is up to about 50 mph. It's too cold here now to tell if it fixed the tach issue but it did idle lower. Also the kickstand switch now kills the motor even if it's in neutral, the only "fix" I've seen so far is to bypass it so it seems I can either have the kickstand kill the motor every time or never. My only real concern is does the advanced timing have any negative effect on the engine? Shortened engine life or anything? From what I've gathered on here as long as I use something above 87 octane I shouldn't be in danger of any pinging so I made sure the tank was full of 93 before I did it. Basically just wondering if there's anything else I should know or be concerned about, thank you all for the information in here.
Schweedo is offline   Reply With Quote