View Single Post
Old November 6th, 2016, 09:56 PM   #164
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

I considered doing this a while ago, and now I'm considering it again.

From my research -- this is my understanding. Could be wrong, it's all hearsay on the internet..

Quote:
The stock 2009~2012 ignition timing is set at 10 degrees [advance] BTDC up to 4k rpms, 35 degrees [advance] up until the rev limiter.

The stock _-2008 ignition timing is set at 13 degrees [advance] BTDC up to 4.2k rpms, 42 degrees [advance] up until the rev limiter.
If this information is indeed correct -- it means that the older CDI/igniter units have more aggressive timing advance.

@Schweedo -- a more aggressive ignition timing map could result in predetonation or 'pinging' also known as engine knock. Based on my experience with larger displacement inline-4 car engines, more timing advance means the engine sparks sooner before TDC. Too much timing advance can cause the air/fuel mixture to ignite prematurely while the piston is still travelling upward on the combustion stroke. A severe case of predetonation can destroy rod/main bearings in an instant due to the force of premature ignition of the air/fuel mixture trying to push the piston downward while the rotation of the crankshaft is still trying to push the piston upward toward TDC.