View Single Post
Old October 28th, 2019, 03:27 PM   #1
dodgerdad
ninjette.org guru

Name: Hector

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Question Charging system problem?

I installed my new aftermarket speedo cluster and it works great however shortly after starting the engine the screen goes completely blank (but still backlit). If I turn off the ignition and switch it back on, the cluster comes back to life. Yesterday I decided to check it out.

Wiring is all good with solid solder/shrink-wrap connections. I tested the voltage to the unit and it was only getting 11.56v w/engine off and 10.94v w/engine on. I disconnected the headlight (dual h4 35w headlights) and the power went to 13.28v at idle. Could it be the dual headlight is drawing too much voltage from the charging system? (I have no other accessory/gizmos hooked up.) I relayed the problem to the manufacturer and they agree it's a symptom of insufficient voltage to the unit.

Also, my battery measured 12.74v at idle WITH the headlights and 13.70v withOUT them. I ran the bike at idle for a few minutes and when I turned off the ignition my battery measured 13.30v. 5 minutes later it was at 12.84v and 24 hours later it's at 12.65v.

All these battery numbers are telling me the battery is good but either the stator is not keeping up or the headlights are truly sucking up too much juice. I don't suspect a rectifier problem.

Does this make sense? If so, what's the best way to measure the voltage coming out of the stator?