View Single Post
Old October 4th, 2023, 06:15 AM   #1
abad89
ninjette.org member

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 17 Ninja 300

Question New rider/owner, couple of issues with bike

Hello, I'm having two issues with my '17 Ninja 300 that i would like some help diagnosing/fixing.

First there's a strange noise when accelerating from about 10 to 25 mph. It's hard to describe but almost sounds like water trickling, except metallicy, and there is no actual leak. This only happens with the clutch lever released, so not while coasting or just revving. If the description of the sound is super unhelpful I'll post a video, but I haven't tried recording it because it's not that loud and I'm not sure if it'll be audible. Anyway, there's plenty of oil visible in the window, although it could probably use a change. But this sound has been happening for a little while now, even recently after my previous oil change.

Secondly, I've been starting to notice a slight loss of power. Sometimes while accelerating at higher RPM and speed, say 50mph and 8k rpm, it'll lose what feels like roughly 250rpm's worth of power for like a quarter of a second, then it'll come back and continue accelerating as normal. Possibly for the same reason, I have also noticed that while maintaing a speed/RPM/throttle position, I'll slowly lose about 1-200 RPM. Like I can feel it but also watch the tach slowly move down. Maybe because of these two issues I'm psyching myself out, but I also just kinda feel in general, almost imperceptibly, that sometimes I'm just not getting the power I should be, and it falters here and there, just a tiny bit.

Just for background, I bought the bike in August with 1800 miles on it. Dealer said they did an oil change while they had it. It now has ~7300 and I did an oil change myself at about 4k, and checked the coolant at that time because I was thinking it had started running hotter. It was fine, and I've never seen an oil or temperature light come on (except during the startup routine when I first turn the key).

Any help or comments are appreciated, thank you.
abad89 is offline   Reply With Quote