Thread: Clutch Thoughts
View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2016, 08:43 PM   #1
Glowing Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Nope

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Clutch Thoughts

To preface this thread i will give you some background.

When I bought this bike the clutch grab was at the end of the lever, i grew to love that. I dont care for clutch-less shift because its way different then what i got used to riding dirt bikes when i was younger, i know thats a mute point but its still the case.

I also like light shifting, quick small movements.

Problems.

With my clutch grab at the far end of the lever pull, it doesnt disengage completely, its enough to shift into first from neutral but the bike jerks a little. (fixed for now to save my almost gone clutch)

Second, sometimes i get false neutrals with my quick and light shifting.

I know the simple solution to to adjust things to spec and actually shift, but here is where you experienced ninja rider come into play.

I want it to stay the same!

Ive went as far as thinking about putting servos on the bike so after i get rolling all ill have to do is blip the throttle and press a button and it clutch and shift up in a fashion for it to be almost the minimum required movement for quick and efficient, yet trouble free operation.

Alas, as much as i love building things and playing with my smelter and casting aluminum, that seems a bit clunky and very time consuming to get right.

SOOO, any suggestions to get short pull clutch disengagement/engagement without wearing out the clutch (mines been almost gone since i got it, i feel like if i replaced it id stall every 5 minutes lol) and a way to have quick, light shifting without the possibility of a FN?

I know this is really picky and splitting hairs. But short of servos, or casting
a longer throw piece for the shifter and making a weird tiny pully system to amplify my clutch lever movement, i dont know what to do or if its possible.

Thanks for any input of this borderline dumb thread.