Thread: Clutch Thoughts
View Single Post
Old August 31st, 2016, 02:27 PM   #16
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I'll ask a stupid question: The goal here is to get the clutch to disengage completely and put the friction zone really close to the bar at the same time, right?

So... instead of overly complicating all this (and I'm a nerdy engineering type who LOVES that train of thought, but let's forget about all that for a moment), why not keep it simple?

The ninja 500 (and maybe other models, like the 650) have adjustable clutch levers from the factory. Swap the perch and lever with your parts. Then you'll be able to adjust the lever properly so it can disengage completely and adjust the lever position in to get the friction zone where you like it

I bet the way you have it set up now, with enough slack in the cable to not completely disengage, makes the lever rattle like a son-of-a-gun... must be annoying.

PS: Why in the world you WANT your clutch to disengage really close to the bar, I have no idea. That requires you to move your fingers off the bars and give up some control. I'm a huge proponent of 2 finger shifting. With the shifter set up as the factory suggests, you can easily use your pointer and middle fingers to work the clutch without letting go of the bar with your ring and pinky fingers. Quick and simple.

Csmith12 is right on the money; shift with authority. That doesn't mean get angry and go hulk on it. Just do it with confidence and authority. Clunk clunk clunk. It's not a refined machine.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote