View Single Post
Old August 19th, 2019, 01:43 AM   #1
squirrelnut1416
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 Special Edition

2009 Clutch Issues

Hello everyone,

I have a 2009 250 that sat since 2015 as my life didn't allow me to ride since then. When it was accidentally parked, no winterization was done so as you can imagine the bike was terrible when I decided to revisit it.

I had my buddy at work who does drag racing clean the carb. Works great and starts without any choke. Idles smoothly at 1500.

The issue now I have is with my clutch.

I took the bike out to the end of the street and stopped at the stop sign. I got up to 4th to keep the rpm's low to not annoy the neighbors. When I did, I tried to take off in first. Engine would only say alive at wide open throttle and it sounded like it was bogging, like I was trying to start off in 6th gear. I confirmed I was in first after the bike died and restarted it. Bike still won't take off in first and keeps dying. Put the bike into neutral and rev it to 4k and now it works.

Every time I come to a stop and try to restart in first gear, it just bogs until i stop and restart the bike. Also, when it's bogging, if I pull in the clutch, nothing happens. Bike does not rev and there's no difference at all to the bogging sound.

I changed the oil with Rotella t6 and put a drop of seafoam in there to help clean it up. Ran the bike on the stand in 1st gear to get the clutch moving and work the new oil in.

I disassembled the clutch and replaced the friction discs with EBC ones that i soaked over night and the bike is exactly the same. The clutch springs are no where near their service limit.

I also got the bike on an abandoned road and tried to Italian tune up it a bit. The highest speed the bike would hit is about 45mph. Could it be the clutch is not engaging all the way?

To recap:
Bike sat for a few years
Cleaned carb
Bike won't take off after coming to a stop.
Engine lugs when doing so.
Pulling in the clutch does nothing.
Replaced clutch and oil same exact issues.
squirrelnut1416 is offline   Reply With Quote