Old September 20th, 2017, 06:05 AM   #2081
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
You can do this. Hydraulic brakes on bikes are easy. Very user friendly and easy to get right. No. Need to fear.

A, I get where you're going with that thought. but at the same time, you've ridden hydraulic disks, right?
Yes, ridden with hydraulic brakes on many different bicycles and motorcycles, sure they work wonders, but rather overkill on bicycles.

I always believe that brakes are to be used minimally, all they do is to slow you down, take away available traction to response obstacles and limit your options to avoiding impact.

Observe your surroundings (in advance), think through your available options in advance, most of the time the best option is not to brake, but a way around obstacles without brakes.
If you rely majorly on brakes to stay safe on your ride; likely your are riding fast than you can observe or think.

Hydraulic brakes on 40-50 lb. downhill Mt. bikes that bombs down ski slopes at 40-50 mph, sure that makes sense; but how often do any of us do that type of riding?

Riding downhill over long distance with constant brake application (over 20 sec of braking) is where hydraulic brakes outperform mechanical disc brakes. That's something that rarely occurs on my rides.
Mechanical disc have been working just fine on my gravel bike on the pavement, even at the end of a 1/2 mile long downhill where I frequent twice a month at the most, no brake fade or problem with slowing/stopping.

Knowing the right components that you need on your bike that suits your willingness to service those components. Time and $$ are better spent riding over servicing.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote