"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Gee, thanks.

I was more looking for your explanation because I want to know your thought process. I have an engineering degree and have done plenty of varied riding; I know well for myself why, but that's not what I'm actually after by asking.

I still stand by my statement that with how good and how affordable modern hydraulic disk brakes have become, there's really no reason to choose mechanical disk brakes any more unless we're talking about a loaded tandem descending a mountain pass with a scared stoker. Through use of ceramic pistons, fins, and better material choices of the calipers/disks themselves, heatsoak/brake boil issues have been solved for all but the crazy extreme cases.

The added ability to finesse just the right amount of braking out of a hydraulic disk brake compared with its mechanical counterpart is why they're worth the $$ every time.
Whatever floats your boat.

My thought process is as follow: bicycles are about utility, simplicity and sustainability.

Doesn't take an engineering degree to know that brake fluids, even the organic ones are not ideal for the environment.

I have no need for hydraulic brakes to slow my bicycle on rides, likely neither does most if not 99% of bicycle owners in the world; less environment impact by using mechanical one without the need to change brake fluids.

Last futzed with by "A"; September 23rd, 2017 at 09:54 AM.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote