View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2017, 08:37 PM   #11
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Stay in the group that feels like the most fun. I think a lot of riders chase a bump way too early because they think it's a badge of honor to get to the next level. Your frustration level will tell you if you are in the right group.

If you are plagued by slow traffic, move up. And I don't mean stuck behind a single rider because you aren't fast enough to get by. I mean if you're staring at a choo-choo train of slowness, taking 2 at a time in a corner and getting pissed because guy number 3 is now immediately in your way, it's time to move up. If you are frustrated with being only a tiny bit faster than everyone and therefore unable to make a single pass for an entire session, move down. When you are comfortably making several passes per session and having fun, you are in the right spot. Kinda sounds like I'm promoting sandbagging but it's not like that. I'm just saying make it about fun, not the group. Personally, I let a CR bump me up to A way too soon. I had more fun in B.

Then after a few years when you get tired of trying to get away from unpredictable idiots and listening to overbearing CR's who act like the policemen of the racetrack, it's time to start racing. That's probably going to offend someone but I gotta be honest - I never had more fun than when I quit track days and started racing. I got 4 years of track days in and the seat time was valuable, but then I had enough. Put your time in and then get ready for the real fun of racing!