ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

Thumbs up

I'd use this as a rough gauge, in the UK the groups are as follows;-

USA A = UK Advanced
USA B = UK Intermediate
USA C = UK Novice/Beginner

These names mean something, as opposed to Letters !
Here if you have never ridden on Track before you MUST start in Novice group & trust me I have seen some guys rock up with teh greatest kit & NO ability. Talking to them, gives no sense of their capabilities as most people over estimate their own abilities, humility is your friend !

The instructors/organisers will move people between groups if they are to fast or to slow, so be realistic.

You say you have knocked 40's off your lap times, but don't share your lap time, so that really means nothing. I can knock 40's of a lap on a new track from 1st - 2nd session ! Not sure if there are many other 250 riders in your sessions, they are quite rare here in the UK. But if there are, then how do you compare lap time wise to them ? If equal or faster, then between sessions, identify someone in the group above riding a 250 & time their laps & see how that compares to yours if similar then you can upgrade on that track.

Once fully comfortable about pushing yourself & the bike & being able to find & keep to the racing line, then you should easily be able to ride in the B group, but remember to have a look around you at who & what is riding in that group. I remeber when most track days used to be road bikes, where as now they are often racers getting in cheap practise times. If your bike is a road bike, then check when you book that its restricted to road bikes only, or at least limiting race/track bikes to A group only. This has some advantages, sessions get stopped less often when road nike only, people aren't trying 101% ! Intermediates is where you want to be.

I could ride A/Advanced group, but I'm not willing to push my expensive highly modified 800cc road bike that hard when wannabe racers are trying to commit suicide to get by ! I gave up track riding a few years ago after a serious of incidents with wannbe's falling off in front of me or throwing machines at me from behind having lost it on the brakes etc.

Most of all ride in the group you are comfortable in & enjoy yourself the most in.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote