Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Hi AchyGrappler and great question!

When to consider moving up a group at a track day? - 101

1. Have you got a good understanding and execution of the basics; throttle control, steering, vision skills, braking, body position, ect... ect... ?
2. Have you "really" learned the preferred line at "that" track. Yes, you can be a B group rider at one track and a C group rider at another.
3. Can you hold that preferred line at "that" track? Even if you get passed mid-corner?
4. Do you have control over your mind and competitiveness enough to keep the "red mist" in check? Knowing when to NOT ride or pull back a little is MORE important than most things.
5. Do you find yourself having to roll off or brake mid-corner to not hit other riders?
6. Do you find yourself having to constantly take alternate lines through corners while making/setting up a pass on another rider?
7. Have you got a second opinion? Friends don't count!!! Get a CR or coach to follow you for a few laps.
8. Can you recognize negative feedback from the bike? Can you recognize negative feedback from YOU... the rider?
9. Are you NOT afraid to ask questions instead of just "giving it a try and guessing what will happen?"
10. Can you recognize and understand that "the mix" of riders present at the track "that day" will be different than the next day, so... your pace and safety is relative to "the mix, that day."
11. Are you willing to make "ANY" compromise to ensure your safety and the safety of others? Both on and off the track?
12. Do you spend most of your laps having fun or considering rolling hot pit to give yourself more clear track?

Having helped many, many riders and a decent number of ninjette members move from C -> B or Novice -> Intermediate, these are my factors that tell me when a rider is ready. When in doubt, just ask a CR/Coach to do a few laps with you to give an eval. We love to be used and abused like that, it's why we are there.

Good luck, have fun!

Bonus: The bike must also be able to pass tech for the next group, so be sure and don't forget to check gear requirements. If the bike hardware is ready, then you can focus on getting that wrinkly gray matter inside your head ready.
Really good list of questions and suggestions and a lot of things to think about

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchyGrappler View Post
Lots of great tips, thanks all. I asked the question because this year I was able to get out to the track 5 times of my 6 times goal. Part of my multi year plan that includes training to get me ready to start racing. After these 5 times I feel like while I’m not ready to move up yet, I can see that soon I may be.

Csmith12, that is a great list of questions. My answers were a mix of yes, no and kinda. The list also gives me things to work on over the next 6 trackdays. Thanks.

Clinker, I was out with TrackXperience. I’ve ridden with them before at Streets of Willow. Big difference between TrackXper and TrakDaz. The paddock was half full and the speed of their C group was overall much more my speed. I imagined TrakDaz events would be faster with the racers in attendance.
I'm glad you are considering getting some training to get you ready for racing. I'm a coach with the California Superbike School and love to see when people put focus on training and improving their own riding, and also on understanding and knowing when it is appropriate to move up a level in terms of track days. If you have any questions about CSS and how the school might be able to help you get ready to race let me know! When i first started doing track days and novice racing I was lucky enough to be able to do all four levels of the school and truly equate that with the success I was later able to have with my riding and racing.

Anyway, all the best and I love to see people taking rider improvement and advancement seriously! I wish more people were as concerned with proper timing of moving up in track day groups and bettering themselves then in letting their egos dictate what group they end up in.

ride safe!!
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote