View Single Post
Old February 2nd, 2018, 07:39 AM   #30
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchyGrappler View Post
Had a good day yesterday with TrakDaz at Chuckwalla. Got into a few slow bike/fast bike battles where I'd ride up on someone's behind in the corners, but couldn't make the pass as the C group only allowed outside passes. As soon as the corner was opening up I'd get out accelerated down the straight only to repeat for the next corner. I was able to beat a few on the brakes to get the inside line before the corner. It felt good to be able to think on the bike and be able to ride with strategy.
My old 300 I picked up just for racing, but in the interest of getting some more seat time I did a couple of track days with it. What you described was so annoying to me that I decided to quit track days altogether and stick to all the practice sessions I can get on race weekends. They group all the lightweights together and it's much more enjoyable.

IMHO, the 250/300 doesn't make a good track day bike mixed in with all the newbs on liters. Maybe it's good at some smaller tracks but at the big tracks it's annoying and the closing speeds can be dangerous. The 300 was a blast at the kart track though.

I would understand that some may enjoy the challenge of riding a slow bike at a track day, but for me, when I pass someone slow I like to stay in front of them.