View Single Post
Old April 10th, 2019, 09:10 PM   #1
NorthernNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Lean Condition After Valve Adjustments

Bike was parked in the fall, wouldn't idle properly at the time but figured it was just carbs, couldn't get it running this spring, checked the valves and they were out of spec so I adjusted them, this was my second time doing this and all went well the first time so it's not a new procedure for me. Well, after getting everything back together it will not run properly at all. Found it had a bit of an intake leak, which i corrected, and the bottom hose of the coasting enrichener was popped off, so i threw it back on figuring all would be good, still nothing. It has all the symptoms of being lean, to me, bear in mind my only experience is with slide carbs (which i believe are far superior at this point). it's hunting for idle, won't really idle right, choke kind of helps sometimes, not so much others. The odd time i could get it to rev up it was crackling and shooting way more flames than usual. but it was pretty much dying as soon as I opened the throttle usually. Figured it seemed lean, pulled the carbs all apart. The pilot jets were a bit dirty, cleaned everything out, clean all jets and passages, reset mixture screws to 2.5 turns out which was my standard and worked before, synced my carbs, checked for good flow out of the petcock, slide operation is good, both rise and fall nicely with compressed air, everything seems to be perfect. Put it all back together and now idle - quarter throttle is a bit better minus still feeling lean (hanging idle, crackling, etc). But as soon as i open it up more it bogs and kills it. The only way I can get it to rev up more is by basically completely blocking off the airbox, then it revs up alright until it starts to just choke. So to me this seems obviously lean, but i have no clue why. The carbs have always been the same setup for the last 45,000km and everything seems perfectly fine. Seems strange that it's all of a sudden after my valve adjustments but it has been sitting for 6 months. Is there ANY other reason why it could be acting like this? I know enough about engines and fueling but for the life of me i can not figure this out and it's starting to piss me off. I just want to ride.
Thanks.

TLDR: Carbs are freshly cleaned, valves adjusted properly, everything set the exact same as it has been it's whole life, and for some reason it has symptoms of an incredibly lean condition. ANYTHING that could be causing this?
NorthernNinja is offline   Reply With Quote