View Single Post
Old June 26th, 2011, 11:44 AM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it really depends on what the "real" problem is that you're trying to solve. if your front forks truly need a higher spring tension because they're bottoming out, adding spacers (or getting preload adjusters) will fix the issue with very little consequence (you lose travel distance, but the amount you change for the amount you lose usually isn't very high. probably not high enough to notice imo) if the problem is too high of a rebound rate, higher viscosity oil will solve the issue at the expense of a harsher feel over bumps. the reason people use emulators and fancy cartridge forks like the gsxr forks is because they have multiple flow rates depending on the force applied to the valve. when it's under low force, the damping rate is high, giving good "rider feedback", but when the force is high (such as hitting a bump) the higher rate valve opens allowing more oil to flow, giving a softer feel over the bump. cartridge forks like the gsxr's and others are fancy because they have valve adjustments on the outside of the fork, so it's easier to tune and adjust.

i've seen a page that describes in detail various traction problems and what the root cause of each issue might be due to... i can't find it now (should have bookmarked it) but i'm sure someone here knows what i'm talking about and can provide a link