View Single Post
Old June 26th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
+1 on the tires. missed the part where you said you had IRCs... yikes.

if you do change front tension, i would try to figure out the spring tension you want with something cheap like spacers to add preload before switching to proper rate springs. i would start by checking the bike + rider weight against a good common scale like the one on race-tech's site to get what kind of weight/travel you want. that site posted above shows how to put a rubber band or whatever around your forks so you can see how far they're compressing. you want the most travel the fork will give without ever bottoming out, this lets them work to their full extent. i may be wrong on this so don't trust me but you should be able to tell your final spring rate from the spacers by taking your current spring rate (eg 8kg/mm) and doing a little math to figure it out. for example if the ninja's fork travel is 5cm and you add 2mm of preload it's like saying (8kg*5cm) / (5cm-2mm). but honestly losing under 10mm of travel is probably not noticable. (edit: so why bother buying expensive springs... unless you're racing i guess)

keep in mind when thinking about swapping in other suspension; a properly tuned standard fork will always work better than an improperly tuned cartridge fork