View Single Post
Old June 11th, 2014, 03:49 PM   #122
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
This popped up on Facebook today. The first bike laps at Thompson ever -- a TTD staff day so they can get familiar.

This, I believe, is Ken Condon riding a Triumph Speed Triple (675 cc).

Here's what I see after running through it once (I'm a track virgin so I'm focusing on things that probably don't matter to experienced track guys):

1) Most significant... he rides the entire lap except for the second half of the straight in one gear. No shifting. He starts out in third, but after Tony passes him he goes down to second and leaves it there. On the straight he only gets up to fifth. For a newb, this is cool because it's one less thing I have to think about.

2) Speeds... Turn 1 (which is what I'm thinking is the most challenging for a newb to get right because we'll be hauling it down from high speed and it's a tight right) is about 45 mph. Peak on the straight is about 120. Most turns are 45-55 mph. The slowest is the hairpin before the bridge, which is about 40 mph. For Ken and other experienced riders, the pace looks calm. For me it's probably the best I can wish for.

I love the web. I can learn all the reference points weeks before I ever get to the track....

I anticipate looping this a few times.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.