Old April 16th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #32
Buffalony
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
Originally Posted by komohana View Post
thats the spirit!

...and i feel like i've seen yer bike in a movie or two...or maybe on tv...

Agreed. I can see Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft riding on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Interesting idea and if it works and is cool by you then that's all that matters.
oh of course

Quote:
My problem is how you feel about the earbud thing and how 'unsafe' it is...
The statue is a safety regulation for a reason.

Quote:
I've used both earplugs and earbuds at work and can safely say that the earplugs block more outside sound then the buds.
They sure do..it's what they were designed to do! Earbud head phones were never designed for protecting your ears (not saying noise canceling or foam would be better at safely attenuating sound in a extremly loud environment either(Though theyre getting better and better and these two features are going to become more and more common shortly))!
If you have to wear ear plugs, it's to save your ears from damaging loud noises. Some wear them on the road for wind noise and/or road noise.
An industrial earplug is already overly efficient (over kill) for these noises.
Quote:
If the volume is kept low then you will still hear the outside stuff going on around you with earbuds.
The current commonly available earbud is not created with a loud environment in mind. Therefore you have to turn it up! Again the foam and noise canceling types are slowly becoming more common(I also recently addressed this on another thread) they are only increasing the reduction of what you hear beyond them(except for the open air foam type) .

Some earplugs also get a real good seal too. One doesnt need a pair that prevents you from hearing too much right (if so, pull over and go to sleep instead) The one thing about earplugs though, is they dont make noise!!!

Quote:
I haven't personally ridden with earbuds in and don't really plan to cause my bike is kinda loud and would cancel out my music even with buds in so what's the point lol.
Wow. If your bike is that loud you put yourself in the same category as the fellows you mention below!
Quote:
Also, most modern day cars have alot, I mean ALOT, of road noise reduction built in with really loud factory stereos.
Very true and great point. This could be a future safety issue regulators just havnt come around to yet!! I do have to add the fact that Glass has always been one of the best sound insulators.

Quote:
Then you also have all the people out there with the custom stereos with the 15 inch subwoofers. How are the millions upon millions of cagers out there with sound reduced cars and thumping stereos safer then a biker with earbuds in when that car is blocking out at least 300% more outside sound then your earbuds?
Well 300%
I agree. As far as millions upon millions...don't know bout that . The type of sound insulation from the factory your speaking of is still only beginning to branch off of the luxury line these days(I understand after market insulation but don't mix the two). Well there ARE laws against systems too....Reason: Its not safe. One problem though, is it's not enforced enough...hence why newer EMS (ambulances!!) are being equipt with specialized subwoofers on the exteriors of the vehicle(look it up)....to make the same hardheads with earplugs in, driving super insulated(aftermarket) cars with the 15" subwoofers move outta the fuk!ng way

. I'd be more worried about the cagers out there with all the loud stereos then the biker with the earbuds. But that's just my opinion. Personally I think they should go after the cagers with the stereos instead of the biker with the earbuds cause the cager poses 100x more danger.[/QUOTE]
No. I think they're about the same. Their both illegal for the same reason.

Look guys...The main underlying theory here is that, by putting the sound source further away from your ears instead of right on top of your ear canal your giving your ears the opportunity to hear other things sooner.
maybe you think it isn't that big of a difference or correct! Fine. good for you.
I think of it like this. Surely you all know light travels faster than sound. take a look at this vid I posted earlier.

Link to original page on YouTube.
Now think about how fast your reaction time is to sound factoring in how much slower sound is than light. Putting the speakers further from your ears makes alittle more sense it not being the first thing you hear.