Thread: Clutch Died
View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2023, 11:00 PM   #6
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

never heard of sprockets wearing out in just 5000 miles
that's a ware item and should have been caught in regular matenance !
letting something like that go till it fails completely is bad news !
obviously replace both sprockets and chain and lubricate well
.... you might check the rear wheel bearings at the same time too, grab the rear wheel and see if you can get any side to side flex out of the swing arm and or the wheel itself...
I wore a set of sprockets to the point they would not pull the bike any more on flat ground before I finally got a job and could afford another set
riding a bike with the rear chain slipping is extremally hard on things
I noticed that the output shaft where the primary sprocket attached was quite a bit looser than it should be after that.... and shortly there after the seal started leaking.... by then I knew the bike was fairly well thrashed but I had a spare engine so I swapped transmition, crank oil pump and everything between the case haves .... I essentially put the other engine in the bike but did it the hard way.... the cases I had were better (Not cracked)
and I expect that running that chain and sprockets were the main cause of the engines demise ...the output shaft bearing was so loose the shaft could flex 1/8" forward to back..... I never let chain and sprockets get that bad again !
.... although I didn't have a choice I had no money to get the parts needed
and I had to get money from my mom for gas .... there were no jobs, none
and I was looking hard but there was nothing available ....
when I finally found a job again the pay was $3.25 an hour.... and now even McDonald's up here starts at $17.39hr .... I guess they had to get smart and
pay more to get these Kids back to work.... but back then we didn't have a choice ! it was $3.25 an Hour or nothing .... $75.00 pay check for an 80hr work week seamed like what's the point ?
it's a totally different world now people....!
Bob......