View Single Post
Old April 16th, 2023, 07:23 PM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Poor-mans hard case for storage on the bike !

Here is my answer to the storage problems on almost every motorcycle I have ever known.... if your like me the bike you get will not be a full dresser so carrying anything with you is a problem.
I bought an expensive back rack for the XR650L a few weeks ago and it came with side crash bars ( that's why I bought it !) the rack didn't seem very large at all and I admit I was dissipointed when I unwrapped it but it does fit the bill.
the other day when we went to town I went to Harbor freight tools to buy another water proof pistle box/case that I had done for the Ninja and TT250
but I really wanted something a bit bigger.... I asked a guy there where he was hiding the boxes and he showed them to me on the top shelf in the back
and they had about 20 of them there .... they didn't have RED so I bought a green one instead.... it so happens that this one IS bigger than the previous ones I have bought from there .... and it has 4 latches to keep it closed rather than just 2....
It cost $54.00 and I hauled it home...
yesterday I mounted it on the back rack of the XR650L by drilling 4 holes and using 4 1/4 x 20 2" long bolts and 4 2" fender washers to spred out the force
on the plastic case....
the end results are pictured below and after a quick ride I wish I had set it further back as my butt hit it a few times on that ride.....another 2" back would be perfect.
these cases are completely water proof and lockable if you put a padlock on it.......
I mainly want it on there so if the mood strikes me I can run to McDonnalds and pick up 6 sausage biscuits on a warm summer morning and zip back home before the wife gets up.... and surprise her ! HAHAHAHAH
I know from the Ninja's little box I can get 2 gallon jugs of milk in there and have some extra room to boot... so there is alot of room in these things.

it's about as easy as it gets as far as a water proof box goes !
Bob......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new box 01.jpg (167.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg new box02.jpg (192.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg new box03.jpg (167.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg new box04.jpg (216.8 KB, 4 views)