View Single Post
Old November 5th, 2019, 08:32 PM   #1
SibSerge
ninjette.org member

Name: Sergey

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ZZR250 (EX250H)

Found shavings on the oil screen

Today I was taking the oil screen cover off to check the state of the screen and also upgrade to the 2008 screen cover that comes with a drain plug.

The screen in general was clean but I found some shavings on the edge of the screen. I will take the pic of it tomorrow (did not have the phone with me). They are definitely aluminum - they are white/gray and they are not magnetic. And they look like shavings coming from a thread tap, mostly 1mm in size and some of them do look like pieces of thread.

The thing I found out is that one of the previous owners has stripped oil drain plug threads and re-tapped it for bigger size plug M14 with 19mm head instead of M12-17. I suspect they did not remove all the shavings and some of them ended up in the case.

What could this potentially cause ? It looks like the screen is fine grained enough to stop the bigger ones. I assume the oil goes to the pump next and then to the filter ? so technically they should not have ended up in the engine's critical parts?

The new plug they installed has a magnet and it was totally clean when I unscrewed it.

The engine runs well, oil pressure looks good (the bulb turns on instantaneously) I hear no knocks other than clutch basket sometimes (it goes away with slipping the clutch and then I do not hear it - at least now I could not hear it). Both cylinders hold pressure (about 205 and 215 psi).

Bike has about 10k , I did not have a chance to ride it for long distances (it is currently not plated) but testing it on the driveway did not show any issues - it pulls well from a stop.

Your thoughts on this situation are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
SibSerge is offline   Reply With Quote