Thread: Photography!
View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2014, 12:31 AM   #165
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Also had a big talk (read: fight) about photography with my woman. She's not progressing like she should be (or at all). She's still stuck in photography kindergarten. I just found about 20 shots on my Nikon of hers. ALL blurry. Shot at 1/3-1/15s, f/4, ISO 400. I do all this stuff for her (buy her expensive cameras, start shooting film, developing, etc), and she, for some reason, can't grasp the simple concept of exposure. I bought that Mamiya TLR for us (because she wanted a TLR). When I bought it, "oh you just bought it for you, you're not gonna let me use it." Damn right I won't, no sense in wasting real money on crappy shots. Learn the basics, damnit.

Anyway, it was more complex than that, I'm not a complete asshole, I swear. She's just too proud to accept any instruction from me. Stubborn, defensive, etc. Also for some reason irritated that I "stole" her hobby, and have progressed way past her. Although I'm not completely innocent in this one. I do admit I can get condescending and frustrating myself.

After our talk (our first real fight, for srs), she's vowed to actually put in the work, since I put in the work to get where I'm at, AND the money to fund our hobby. We're just gonna continue shooting digital. I'll be getting that lens, and that's it til she gets to where she wants to be. She WILL get the Mamiya, once she shows me that she can handle it, especially since it has no metering. Secretly I'll be starting to move to another medium format camera, but this one will be an SLR. And no, it won't be a Hassy. That will be my kit. Body, lenses, film backs, motor drive, pistol grip, etc etc. That'll be my end-all camera, along with my D40. If she likes the A-1, I'll keep it for us. If not, she can just use her Canon K2 or one of my other many film cameras I have laying around.

Wow it feels better to get that off my chest. Feel free to resume your normal foruming.