View Single Post
Old July 9th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #157
kevins_garage
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, 2007 Aprilia SR50R scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Flat or inclined won't have anything to do with different RPMs, as long as you're in the same gear. If the clutch is engaged, the speed of the motor is directly connected to however fast the rear wheel is turning, coupled with the current gear selected; that's it.
Yep - I noticed mine after a 30 minute freeway ride - one minute I was going ~70 in 6th gear at ~8000 rpms and the next minute I was turning ~9000 rpms at the same speed in the same gear. I didn't look away for more than a few seconds and the tach crept even higher, indicating over 9500 rpms at the same speed in the same gear. There was no real consistency to the erroneous RPM reading, other than it was always higher than it should have been. It seemed to fluctuate from as few as 500, up to almost 2000, RPMs higher then what the tach would indicate when the bike was cold and driven at the same speed in the same gear.

I do a high percentage of highway riding, so I find myself droning along at ~70+mph a lot - it's real easy to notice a tach that is reading bogus RPM's. When I cruise the surface streets and am in stop and go traffic, I don't pay as much attention to the tach (gotta watch all the a-hole drivers all around me ).
kevins_garage is offline   Reply With Quote