View Single Post
Old November 26th, 2017, 06:35 AM   #1
teafour
Corner Chaser

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR1000, 1986 VFR750, 2004 Ninja 250

Teafour's project 2004 Ninja 250

Hi again,

This appears to be the place to post the projects with what is being done, thought of doing, or the hail Mary what if's. My project is a 2004 Ninja 250 I picked up extremely cheap. I intend for it to be a bike my two teenage boys can get more experience to ride with and then potentially some track days for my pure entertainment. This bike is a rag in appearance through and through but I see so much more in it.

Pics of what I started with and a couple after things I've done so far attached.

She didn't run when I got her although was supposedly running 6 months prior to picking her up. There various things just laying about half bolted or unbolted completely.

So far, I've rebuilt the starter that was beat to hell with new brushes, installed a working solenoid (after rapping it against the floor), removed the factory air box (what a pain in the ass), cleaned the carbs, installed K&N pods, and fabricated a 2 into 1 exhaust that's now on the bike (it had a factory exhaust that was cut up with a saws-all with no muffler left).

Had it running yesterday although needs lots of choke and fuel flow seems to be an issue from the tank. Drove it up and down the dirt road enough to insure it has gears and brakes.

Going to work on jetting the carbs as I'm sure it's extremely lean in all area's right now.

Once that's ironed out I have suspension pieces to work on. I have an early generation upside down fork GSXR front end that had a broken caliper mount on one side or an old ZX7 front end to adapt onto it. I then have a set of early Honda Hurricane 600 or F1 wheels (can't remember which) that I will be putting on front and back. This will get it ideal wheels in a 17" format to run a 110 front and a 140 rear which is the goal. I have a 2008ish rear shock for a GSXR600 to install that seems to be a reasonable fit. Between these, I should have improved and adjustable suspension with modern tire availability.

That's pretty much where I'm at right now other than no idea what I'm going to do for cosmetic's before it's over. Any input, warnings or suggestions, please plug away!

Thanks,

Tom
teafour is offline   Reply With Quote