View Single Post
Old November 6th, 2018, 03:42 PM   #4
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I'm in the process of doing a Next-Gen clutch transplant on my '07 Pre-Gen EX250, which means installing the entire clutch basket assembly from an EX250J ('08 to '12) on my '07 EX250F.

The Pre-Gen EX250 clutch basket used rubber bumpers as dampers, which was a real cheapo decision by Kawasaki. I can understand Kawasaki had to make some cost-saving moves on a high sales volume beginner bike like the EX250. On the good side the rest of the EX250's engine is of very good quality.

I've been in the EX250 world for over a decade now and I've seen a lot of complaints about the clutch dampers. The durability of these rubber bumpers was very hit-or-miss, with some bikes developing problems at low mileage while other bikes just kept piling on miles without any clutch basket trouble. I guess it might be down to something as simple as how an individual rider handles the clutch (just true that some people are smoother than others).

There must have been enough blow-back on this issue to make Kawasaki switch to using metal springs as clutch basket dampers when it designed the Next-Gen EX250.

So far I've just been gathering the necessary parts to do the swap: Purchased a complete clutch basket assembly from a low-miles, parted-out '09 EX250 off of Ebay, purchased a new clutch cover gasket and new set of EBC clutch springs from Partzilla.

I'll be doing the actual instal work after the Christmas season is over. I'll come back to this thread to post about the work when I get to do it.

Here's a link to a thread here on the forum where guys were discussing this transplant a couple of years ago: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...t+modification
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote