View Single Post
Old March 24th, 2015, 05:34 AM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
You mean the Palmer Citizens for Palmer Motorsports page, right? Because the auto-generated page for the track itself has no content. Neither does the track website.

That group is just supporters... not directly tied to the track itself. So they can say whatever they want. Doesn't mean it's related to reality in any way.

That FB page is a bit breathless and optimistic IMHO.

Like this: "Would you guys like to see a AMA event or MotoGP?? We would need support from every race fan. But it could happen! "

Uhhh. yeah. The track doesn't even have toilets installed yet. And MotoGP? Puhleeeeze. Have these guys ever actually been to a world-class racing facility?

I'm glad there's enthusiasm there. But as with all things, it's all just rainbows and unicorns until the gates open and the track is operational.

I have serious doubts that the track facilities will be anywhere remotely close to completion by opening day. Maybe one building with bathrooms. Paved parking? Doubt it... lower priority. Running water would sure be nice. So would power.

Here's the reality: We have yet to see actual evidence that there is ANYTHING there other than pavement on the track surface.

If you've looked at the track map, you can see there's supposed to be a tunnel to the infield. And if you've looked at the videos from just a few months ago (last fall), you can see that they hadn't even started digging for it.

To the best of my knowledge, here's what they still needed to do when the snow started falling:

- Crash barriers for all rock walls and cliffs. Total length in the thousands of feet at least.
- Dig access tunnel and pave
- Construct basic facilities: Toilets, office
- Pave paddock

That's the minimum to become operational AFAIK. All of this has to be done by opening day, which I believe is May 8. That is 45 days from right now.

I've bought and paid for slots over the Memorial Day weekend. I'm very hopeful that they'll actually have some kind of crash barriers in place to keep us from launching into space over the cliffs, or smearing ourselves against the rock walls. I think there's at least a reasonable chance that won't happen by the end of May, and they will have to resort to artificial chicanes and such to keep speeds down.

Remember, something very similar happened at Thompson. No air fence when we rode there, and cones to force slower lines. It worked out okay, so it's not a deal killer for Palmer IMHO.

It's going to be a blast no matter what, but all this talk of awesome facilities should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.

Last futzed with by adouglas; March 24th, 2015 at 06:51 AM.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote