Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I hear this all the time. Most recently this morning:

"There are two kinds of riders. Those who have crashed, and those who will."

I call b*llsh!t. I do not accept that crashing is inevitable.

Just my $0.02. Feel free to disagree.

Let's put this nonsense in context.

"There are two kinds of pedestrians. Those who have gotten hit by a car, and those who will."

"There are two kinds of swimmers. Those who have drowned, and those who will."

"There are two kinds of cooks. Those who have cut a fingertip off with a sharp knife, and those who will."

"There are two kinds of men. Those who have gotten a woman pregnant, and those who will."

Insane statements, right? Yet they use the exact same flawed logic.

Do I believe I will never crash? Of course not! Crashes happen. Believing you're immune is just as absurd as believing it's inevitable.

But I never get on the bike assuming that a crash WILL happen. That mindset makes it more likely to occur.
Agree. Bugs me when people say that too, or when they say you aren't pushing it unless you go down. Crap. We had several riders at the last Superbike School run off the track. Keith Code himself sat them all down and gave them a stern talking too. He basically just said, "when you are riding on the street how many times do you just run off the road?" They all looked stunned and said, never (or rarely) and he was like, "So how come it's ok to do it here?" Just cause you are on the racetrack doesn't mean it's ok to run off the track or make stupid errors. It's a riding school. LOL. Priceless. Of course it's possible but saying that it is inevitable is dumb. Planning for it by wearing the right gear and learning the skills to try and avoid it is the best option but thinking that you're just going to crash sometime is silly.

Another thing that bugs me is when people do crash and they blow it off as something that just happens, no big deal etc. Actually it is a big deal and it's your chance to learn from your mistakes and figure out what you did wrong so that hopefully it doesn't ever happen again.

IF you do crash then dammit, take the time to figure out what you did, what went wrong, why it happened etc and how to improve your skills so that it doesn't happen again.

RIDE SAFE
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.